|The Emblem of Si Sa Ket|
| Si Sa Ket was originally called
Muang Khu Khan. Archaeologists believe the city dates back to the
time of the Khmer empire because of the
presence of many Khmer ruins. Legend gas it that Muang Khu Khan used to
called Si Nakhon Lamduan and was suited at what is now Ban
Prasat Si Liam Dong Lumduan, Tambon Tuan Yai, King Amphoe Wang Hin in the province. The town was upgraded to a city in 1759 when Ayutthaya was Thailand's capital. The first governor was Lung Kaeo Suwan who was promoted to Phra Krai Phakdi. During the reign of His Majesty King Rama V, Muang Khu Khan was relocated to Muang Si Sa Ket (Ban Muang Kao, Tambon Muang Nua, Amphoe Muang in the present day) but the city still retained the name of Khu Khan until 1938 when it was renamed Si Sa Ket Province.
|How To Get There|
|By Car |
From Bangkok, take Highway No. 1 (Phahonyothin Road) and turn onto Highway No. 2 (Mittraphap Road) at Saraburi Province. Then take the Chok Chai-Det Udom road (Highway No. 24) pass Biri Rum and Surin and turn left onto Highway No. 220 to Amphoe Muang Si Sa Ket. The total distance is approximately 571 kms.
From Bangkok, bus of the Transport Co. leave the Northern Bus Terminal ( Mo Chit 2) daily. The traveling time is about 8 hours. For details, please contact Tel. 2710101-5 (regular bus) and Tel. 2794484-7 (air-conditioned bus) or joint private-public buses run by Siri Rattanaphon Co. (Tel. 2791976) and Kitchakan Ratchasima Co., (Tel.2712390)
From Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong) there are regular, rapid and express trains on the Bangkok-Si Sa Ket route, covering a distance of 551 kms. Please contact the Travel Service Section, State Railway of Thailand at Tel. 2237010 and 2237020.